2009-01-29

Shafted.

If it was not for a four hour ranting session last night with friends, this blog would have been eternally long. I am currently in such a bitter state of mind, but am trying to veer off into a positive direction. The bottom line is: life is kind of giving me the shaft right now.

I will explain.

Firstly, the hunt for a job has been going on for a month and some days now. Just when I thought I saw a glimmer of hope with a job at the Cinemark movie theatre, it was quickly and rudely taken away from me. I had been calling Cinemark for about a month (every other day) expressing my interest for a job (since I had known that they were practically the only place in town that was hiring). The manager told me that my application would go on the top of the pile, making me a priority...and that I would recieve a call. Well cut to yesterday, I'm at Ruth's and decide to make a phone call to Cinemark just on a whim. The guy picks up and says that they are actually conducting interviews then and there and said, "let me see if we can squeeze you in". Two minutes pass and the manager who told me I would be a "priority" gets on the phone and says, "We are done conducting interviews and won't do another round for months". In which point I make a heavy sigh because I am so fucking irritated with this city. He responds, "did we say we would call you". And I told him straight up, "yes, you kinda did". He becomes awkward, probably realizing how big of a liar he is and says, "well we will hold on to your resume". I hang up, and cry on the inside.

Yes, you may not think that a job at Cinemark is worthy of that much hype, it isn't, but when the economy is as bad as it is right now...you cling on to any job opportunity. And let's be honest--they gave me a big and unprofessional shaft. It hurt, I felt like I was almost discriminated against, snubbed...like everyone else was invited to the suprise party but me. And let me tell you something, I'd like to think that I am over qualified to work at Cinemark! I'm the kind of guy that when I get an interview, I get the job because to be perfectly honest...places would be lucky to have me. I have been hired on the spot on countless occasions...yet I can't find a bloody job at the moment. Which is just lovely because I decided to take a semester off so I could stay in Colorado and WORK...WORK...WORK...for money and for tuition and for my plans of going to LA to become a working actor. It is hard to dream up your life plans when something as simple as finding a job is squelched by places like Cinemark.

Operation LA will commence as soon as I find a job...which I literally have been hoping and praying for. I have applied (virtually everywhere) and continue to daily...just now I submitted online to a craiglist ad. But every day, I take the shaft. As soon as I have a job, operation LA will commence. I can't tell you of operation LA because it is a covert operation! And then again there is the whole getting into USC thing...I have tried harder than I ever have with that application, but I still do not know if they will accept me because of my poor SAT and ACT/math scores. I'm a firm believer in landing where you are supposed to be...I just hope that fate is playing on my side for once!

No comments:

Post a Comment