2009-01-13

Love Belongs to Hallmark.

This world revolves around the notion of love. You can run from it, but you will not succeed. Songs, films, books, plays...it seems it is the only thing we resort to when needing to create something. Love is the be all, end all. Love is a catalyst for everything. Just take a look at every single country song ever made! Love is what makes the world go round, when money is not in the picture. I'm not talking about the ability to love, or the love one should have toward his mother/father/brother/sister or friend...but the love we so often see circulated in our society. The archetypal image of Romeo and Juliet. Boy finds girl, falls in love with girl...and a wonderful ending with weddings and honey moons somehow tied in. The overly melodramatic notion of love that everyone seems to be striving toward. Only occasionally do people find it normal or okay to be single. But to most, it is the end of life. How can you live if you can't live for another person? Sex. How can you be happy without sex? How can you procreate? How can you start a family? How can you be normal? I'm almost twenty and am already beginning to hear the pressures.

"I was twenty when I started dating your father."

I don't care. Sadly. It will be a while until I find my "love" because to be perfectly honest I am not looking or in need of one right now. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be loved and to love someone on such an intimate level. But I am in the process of figuring myself out...and I don't have time to dedicate to someone else on that level...I am not ready. I have screwed up in the past, and I would not want to do that to the next person I find myself with. It just would not be fair. But apparently people think that your life is over when you are not with someone. Our society is so frustrating. And as I watch "Mamma Mia" for the first time I find that it is continuing to fuel this 'status quo' take on love. A nice, young and gorgeous couple...of course they should be married right? I see my friends who are in relationships of all kinds...and while they may be happy or sad or whatever...the same perpetual problems show up. I don't want to deal with that right now. So call me selfish.

Oh and by the way...it has been a week and a half...and still no luck with jobs. Damn you recession! Back to "Mamma Mia" and then nap time. Lastly, everyone should go see "The Reader"...the book was phenomenal and the film is no exception. Powerhouse performances all around, especially for my favorite Kate Winslet. She gives me hope in this industry and for my career. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment