2009-04-29

Observe and Report...a drama?

I have just returned from a 9:40 showing of "Observe and Report". You know the mall cop movie with Seth Rogen and Anna Farris. I am speechless. Speechless or in a coma. Who would think that this film would seduce me into insanity? "Observe and Report" is a mind fuck. I will begin there. From start to finish I was contemplating what made Farris and Rogen take the movie. Not only was it disturbing...creepy flashers with chode like private parts but there was gratuitous sex and violence...that was so oddly executed throughout the movie that it made even me and my friend Ruth cringe. And I've seen some pretty weird things in my time. And I am not sure if you guys are aware...but the new punch line...alcoholic mothers who don't give a flying fuck about their sons. Yup. Hiiilllarrriooouusss! At one moment in the film (roughly an hour and ten minutes in) I felt like I was drowning in bad comedy...so I got up and danced below the screen...I'm not kidding. I danced. (No one was in the theatre). Thank GOD...it would have been so hard to keep the running commentary in.

Throughout the film I couldn't help but verbally assault the screen back. I felt attacked. Rogen is known for his great smile and warm yet edgy characters...he was just a straight up dick in this flick. Farris is always type cast as the ditsy yet sexy blond...and she killed it...maybe over killed it. Many famous faces drifted through the film...but only one individual actually made the movie okay. An unknown actress who played the part of a cinnamon roll/coffee counter girl. She made it okay for me to sit throughout the movie. Who knew I would ever curse Rogen out?! I love that man. I love the Apatow clan in all of its glory. But no...Rogen...you must have been high when you took this film. I am ashamed to have watched 2 hours of nonsense. Luckily it was free. I could have seen "Obsessed". At least "Obsessed" knew what it was...a movie about Beyonce kicking ass and taking names...and getting her baby back. "Observe and Report" was no comedy...it wasn't even a drama...but it was more dramatic than comedic. Alcoholic mothers who "soil themselves", mall cops who trip on ecstasy and heroine and steal merchandise, vomiting make-up girls thrusting in painfully awkward sex...it goes on and on.

I have learned many things from you "Observe and Report". Hollywood needs better writers and stay away from mall cops. Because they will shoot you...just like in "Fight Club". All I can say is thank GOD I know what kind of actor I want to be...and thank God I actually have an understanding of what a decent script is! At least I begin work tomorrow to take my mind off of this catastrophe.

No comments:

Post a Comment