2009-04-26

Common Courtesy.

This is for all of those people who call themselves "managers" or "owners"...anyone who hires employees at a work place. This is for everyone. As those who read my blog know...I have been on the job hunt for the entire semester. In fact, I probably would not have left school yet if I had known finding a job in Northern Colorado would be so hard. I left school so I could make money. Get a full time job...work my ass off so I could help pay for tuition costs if I decided to return to school in the fall...and to fund my future move to Los Angeles. Instead, thanks to the dying economy and my small surroundings, I fell on my ass. And when I finally thought I had struck gold at Hollister, I was quickly made aware of how I could not work there any longer (long story). This being said, I have had the worst luck finding jobs in Fort Collins, Colorado. Tips for anyone who is thinking about moving here: secure your job first. Seriously...you have to know people to get jobs here. So needless to say the process has been one big bitch. And you know what is not helping...at all...communication. People, people, people. I don't care if you work at Dairy Queen or some high class restaurant. When people leave messages you should return them. If someone says, "We will call you the next day" then you should actually call them the next day...instead of never call. And the thing is...this is common courtesy. Yet practically everywhere I have applied to (the city of Fort Collins...) does not respond or reply to applicants. I find this rude. Not only does it take time and effort to fill out an application but its not like an applicant isn't waiting to hear back from you. They are obviously applying to find a job because they are in dire need of one. So it would only be courteous to the applicant to call them within a decent amount of time. I applied and checked in with every place I applied to (more than 60 locations over a four month period) and I maybe heard back from 1 or 2. I'm not kidding.

I would understand this treatment if I was rude, under-qualified and unprofessional. But I'm not. I'm the very opposite. Therefore, I do not appreciate being treated like I don't deserve a response or feedback when I am applying to a freaking ice cream store or movie theatre. But it goes beyond just jobs...it is everyday living. I send an email (casual or professional) and typically either don't receive a response for days or weeks...or sometimes don't even receive a response at all. This is rude. RUDE PEOPLE. Yes I understand people are busy but somehow have the time to respond to someone else...or watch TV or lounge about. I am sorry but I am just as important as the next person. I am done with this mentality. Whenever someone calls me and leaves a message...I call them back as soon as I can (which is usually never more than an hour unless I don't get reception). One day I decided to Facebook Frenchie Davis, a fairly known Broadway actress. I was not expecting to receive a message...but low and behold the next morning I had a fairly long response from the star. And we continued a conversation for some time...and even became friends on Facebook. And the funny thing is that Frenchie is on a national tour of a Broadway show currently...and she has little time to spare but still was willing to open a conversation with me. But I guess she has a similar mind set to myself. I'm not necessarily a people pleaser...but I do want people to know I care about them and extend as much as I can offer. If I am to ever become a well known actor I am going to open dialogue up to anyone who cares to listen or wants me to listen to them. It just seems to be common courtesy.

Anyhoo...I just have been so put off by looking further for a job because I have been treated poorly. Businesses have either hung up on me (for no reason) or promised to call me in for an interview and then never return my e-mails or phone calls. One job interview required an hour commute on a snowy and windy day... to the mountains...and I didn't even get it in the end. I guess I am pissed and almost feel discriminated against because my brother (who I love...but is not motivated and has no previous job experience landed a job at a nice sushi restaurant in a day). One day. I've been looking for four and a half months. Yes luck is a part of it, but I almost feel like there is something more. I don't understand how some of my friends are so lucky that they land into the jobs they do. Some don't even have to apply for them. I feel that this is unfair. Entirely. Once you have been in my position for so long you would be equally upset. In one way this is excellent practice for the acting world...but I am more used to rejection after auditions and such then I am when it comes to simple jobs at an ice cream store or book store. Come on people...it is ice cream, not rocket science. I have ample experience in communication, talking to people (acting and people skills), customer service, food preparation, etc...and to add to it...I am generally a kind soul. So what is wrong with me then? I would really like to know. I am so done being in this rut...this limbo. I want out. NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment