2009-02-22

The Oscars. (After Thoughts...)

The Oscars. WOW. I was pleasantly surprised at how endearing they were. With the exception of Zanessa, or whoever the hell they think they are...I was taken a back at how accurate most the awards were. First and foremost, Kate Winslet did it! FINALLY. After six nominations she actually won, in what I think was a well deserved award. And Sean Penn...I love the fact that he won! Definitely thought it would slip through his fingers and go to Rourke but am so glad that the ball bounced back into his court. And while I may not be the biggest fan of "Slumdog Millionaire" I am glad to see that it has garnered so much attention and response from the public and the Academy. This year has definitely proven the point that anything can happen. I was also a huge fan with the way the acting awards were presented this year. I found it amazing how each actress/actor was individually recognized for their great acting work. I also liked the fact that the great actors and actresses before them introduced each actor or actress...what a dream. The whole thing just seemed so ridiculously intangible. And the musical numbers (Bollywood infusion and John Legend...what could be better?!).

I was however, taken a back by the enforcement of musical theatre on the show. I have never seen a host sing as much as Hugh Jackman did. And who in the world let Zanessa on the flipping stage! That was honestly my biggest problem with the whole ceremony. You do not let Miley Cyrus, Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens into such a prestigious ceremony. Not only that, but you do not let them sing an excerpt from "High School Musical 3" and you do not let them present either! What were they thinking?! I love the Oscars because it brings the best of the best in film (from across the globe) and sits them down in one giant theatre. Zanessa and Miley Cyrus do NOT belong there. Plain and simple. And what frightened me even more was when Vanessa Hudgens said something on the red carpet like, "Hopefully we will be back and be nominated next time (giggle giggle)". Really?! Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think anyone that has ever won an Oscar was spawned into show business from the Disney Channel. There is a difference between celebrity status and true and raw talent. Such talent only belongs to those like Sean Penn and Kate Winslet. I honestly couldn't think of two better actors. Winslet has NEVER truly been trained and while Penn is a little intense he is damn good at his craft. I strive to be a combination of the two.

Another thing that really got me this year, was how emotional I got. Whether it was Health Ledger's family accepting the award for him or certain acceptance speeches, I was a well of tears. I guess the Oscars always strike a familiar chord in my body...a desire of mine. I'm going to post Winslet's speech as soon as they put it up on YouTube (probably tomorrow) but as soon as she started talking about pretending to use shampoo bottles as the Oscar award and making fake acceptance speeches in the bathroom mirror when she was a little girl...something clicked. I totally remember doing that when I first saw my first Oscars around the age of six or seven...and to be honest, I think I still do that. My faith has been restored. It IS possible. So I haven't gotten my first movie yet, but I am only 20. Not everyone can book their first intense film role at the age of 17 (we aren't all Kate Winslets). But I will strive to be. A Penn and a Winslet. And the funny thing is that both of them had an idea that they would one day find their place in this industry. And I have that faith as well. It is more than faith, it is an internal knowledge. I know it will happen. And I pray that it will happen. But for now I can only dream.

To wrap up my Winslet rant, I think I find her so fascinating because of the way she has developed her career. She has rejected thousands of scripts because they did not fulfill her artistic endeavors. She takes a year off or more between each project she does (which is why she does not have the longest resume) but each project she undertakes has a certain and special meaning to her. Not every actor can say that. She also admitted that not even until her last two films (Revolutionary Road and The Reader) that she maybe, felt like an actress...and she emphasized the maybe. I love it. An un-trained beauty. Is that not the case though. with most actors these days? Usually most of the successful actors we see at such awards shows as the Oscars were born with this gift and don't truly feel comfortable calling themselves "actors" because they are always learning. As Meryl once said, "Your first movie will be mediocre. And then you will continue to grow...but it gets harder." I love it. I have included a short video from the backstage "Thank You" camera after Winslet's speech...she seems just as lovable as shoes does on screen.

So now as the clock strikes 11:59 and Monday is almost here, I will begin my preparations for bed. I can only imagine the ruckus they call Los Angeles right now. The glamorous after parties at Elton Johns, Princes, Madonna and Demi Moore's, Vanity Fair...it is like an alternative universe. The whole experience. But, it is an experience I one day dream to be a part of. The work begins now...

Lastly, backstage Kate Winslet said, "You just don't think that these dreams that seem so silly and so impossible could ever really come true." And look what happened...they did come true. She is honestly a testament for what can come out of big dream, a big heart/ambition and some talent. I admire her wholeheartedly and am inspired by her. One day. One. Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment