2009-02-01

A Letter to Humanity.


Why do we hate each other? Where does hate first find itself in a human being? Some can argue that hate is something that grows inside us as we progress in life. Some believe hate is an emotion that everyone carries from birth. Either way, hate is a disgustingly fowl emotion. There are many things that I don't like...but I don't "hate" those things. There are some people I dislike for various reasons...but I could never say I "hated" those people. Like a kiss sometimes leads to other things, so does hate. Hate leads to actions of hate...and usually serious injury or death. Murder stems from hate. Terrorist actions stem from hate. Every ill that has ever and will ever be performed stems from that horrendous four letter word...hate.

I find it incredibly sad that some people are bred in a hateful environment. You hear of white supremacist families indoctrinating their children into believing any other race but white is disgusting. That mere principal is disgusting. I feel sorry for those children who at the tender age of 2 are already witnessing burning crosses and hate crimes. We elected a black President...who I am so extremely proud of...but as we speak some hateful individual is probably thinking hateful thoughts about our leader...on the very principal that he is black. Black...a fact that he can or never would want to change about himself. It seems to me that people hate people for reasons that are unacceptable and non-negotiable. A black person is born with black skin...that is not a sin. A gay person is born gay...and that is not a sin...it is also something that doesn't make up the entirety of that individual. President Obama is black...but that is not the only thing that you think of when you hear his name...or maybe it is...not to me. Are you truly going to hate on something they were born with? Because you were born with red hair does that give me license to hate you if red hair makes me queasy? Because you are shorter than me...do I think you need to "die or burn in hell" as some people believe to stand true for gay people or Jews?

I can only understand one reason for hatred. And that is the fact that someone could be so utterly insecure with him or herself that he or she would "hate" someone else for some idiotic fact. You think we as a world and nation would learn from our past mistakes. Yet hate crimes are one of the leading reasons for deaths across our nation and other nations. I love theatre and film so much because it brings people together. Exposes people to other ways of life and other cultures. The arts continue to promote tolerance...a reason I continue to thrive in that environment. I don't care what background, race, sexual preference, religion or creed you come from...hating someone....is A SIN! You wanna talk about sins and bad habits...hating someone is a deep crime. I hear people preach about Jesus...YET they also preach how much they do not accept tolerance. To everyone or anyone that reads this, how can you consider yourself a christian or just a good person even if you have this perpetual feeling or emotion of hatred?

How does a gay person, in any way or shape or form change or effect you? Yes, everyone is entitled to their beliefs...but that gay person believes in their way of living just like someone may believe that their way of life is wrong...whatever that may be...keep it to yourself. First of all, I find it pretty foolish that you would give a rat's buttock about a gay person because how are they a threat to you? Are you really going to hate someone because they are being true to them self? Because you are a Baptist and I am a Catholic does that give me license to mock or "hate" on you? No. It doesn't. I like apples. You like oranges. How does your dislike for apples change your views on oranges...it should not. You will still like to eat oranges because that is just your preference. Just like I will still like apples. The point being...it should not matter. I have no right to take away your orange, and you have no right to take away my apple. And there must be something seriously wrong with you if you are worrying so much about my preference for apples.

I still have a foul and wretched taste in my mouth. My blood was literally boiling as I watched countless videos on YouTube...bashing gays, Jews, etc. I love Ellen DeGeneres. I love Ellen because she is funny and seems like an individual that I could be best friends with. Ellen also happens to be gay...and that somehow changes a lot of peoples views on her. Because I like Ellen, I YouTube her a lot. So this evening YouTube suggested a video of Ellen's. This video however was not funny in the least. It was Ellen's reaction to a little boy who was killed by a male classmate for asking him to be his Valentine:



After watching this, I shared the same horror and sadness that Ellen did. A beautiful and innocent life was taken away for a reason that seems so foolish and idiotic. What possibly would make it okay for another child to kill your son for being gay? Yet we continue to hear these headlines and have heard them echo for generations. Matthew Shepard is among the most famous of these individuals. Watch "The Laramie Project"...it'll leave you speechless. What was going through those two boys heads when they brutally beat Matthew and tied him to a barbed wire fence in the middle of Wyoming because he was gay? What the hell was possibly running through their minds to make them think that what they were doing was okay? This is why tolerance needs to be taught. For those of you so called "Christians"...you are preaching hate if you think that it is okay to punish a gay person for being gay. If God created everyone in his image...gay people were also created lovingly in God's image. Some crazy people think of God as a hateful God. No God or higher being who created an earth as luscious and beautiful as ours would be a hateful being.

And you know what is a true crime? Prop 8. All the Christians always bring up the fact that you will be judged by God in the end. So in that case, let God judge the same-sex couple that wants to get married. Are you God? I don't think so! Do you have the right to take away someone's rights because you are insecure or uncomfortable? I don't like extreme public displays of affection..I think I'm going to try to take away heterosexual unions. That is absurd. I wouldn't do such a thing and neither should you. Prop 8 was disgusting to begin with, because they already had their rights...and now they are taken away. Don't. Play. God. I think what was most disturbing about Prop 8 was the fact that when it was passed, I saw a photograph in a magazine with a bunch of Pro-Prop 8 individuals jumping for joy. Literally...smiles etched wide in their little, intolerant and smug faces. They honestly could have been jumping on a cadaver and that alone would not have looked as disgusting. A pro in the news world said it best...and I am wholeheartedly in agreement with him. Please watch this video.



AMEN. How can you argue against that unless you are so filled with hate or are just plain insane. I was also met with rage about this subject of hate and intolerance because I was honestly disturbed at the ridiculously cruel comments posted on any video that contained any trace of gay or lesbian material. This is a direct quote from a post by fanan454:

"f*** all gays in the whole world
gays = pigs "

Have we really gotten to comparing gay people to animals? You honestly could have just shouted "NI****" in a black baptist Church. Sure anyone can write or text a cruel statement of hatred but I would please love to meet fanan454 in person and like to hear them say those words to my face. Anyone's face for that matter. How dare you. How dare you ever stoop to that level. And that statement on YouTube was honestly the tamest one that I found. It made me want to vomit. Any gay person is just like you and I. They have a heart and they have the same body you and I have and they have a love for life...just like you may or may not have. So tell me then...why are you hating? I leave you with the following. The following is a horrendous example of a woman (a "Christian" woman at that) speaking words of hatred. Luckily the news anchor shares any proper individual's opinion and makes her argument. If you have a conscience you will be shocked by the sheer insanity and insensitivity of this Phelps woman. She, like the millions out there, is the reason for the lack of progression and love in this world. Fast forward to 3:52 to see the interview.



This simply has to end. This perpetual disturbing and frankly, horrifying out pour of hate. I dare you to go on to YouTube right now...search anything on Obama, gays, Jews...whatever...and you will find a disgustingly amount of crude, brutal and downright evil remarks. I am hurt. And I am disturbed. I will not have anyone define me or anyone else. Neither should you. I will not stand for anyone to define what normal is. Normal does not exist in this world. To believers, God did not create normal...normal is boring. And if you consider yourself to be "normal" you are boring. I kid you not when I say that I am sickened. I literally have a stomach ache over this. I know I can't do everything to change this hatred since I am merely a young man of 20 and have no social platform. But I will do everything in my power to make a difference. It needs to stop. It is that simple. I will not rest well until I know the reasons for your hatred. I will not tolerate your intolerance. I truly weep for those who are filled with so much hatred that they attack on the poor and innocent minorities. They shouldn't be a minority. Gay shouldn't be a minority. Black shouldn't be a minority. Mexican shouldn't be a minority. Jewish shouldn't be a minority...nothing, and I repeat...NOTHING should be a minority. We as human beings who were put on this earth the same, exact way, should learn to walk together with open arms and open hearts. And until that day comes...I will not feel safe...and I will have nightmares.




1 comment:

Erica said...

I have yet to find a better definition for the word "hate" than the one I found for myself. To "hate" someone or something is to be completely apathetic toward that person or thing, to the point where one does not care if that person or thing should live or die. This is why hate breeds such awful crimes--it is the only emotion that can move a person to such a state as to disregard any respect for life or existence.

Another note. The greatest human fear is the fear of the unknown. Finding unknown in other people or ways of life can breed fear, which in turn breeds a threatened insecurity, which then breeds a loathing for a feeling that would threaten or cause the fear of the unknown rising in oneself. The next connection that is made is that this unknown is not what you would choose to experience, or tolerate, within oneself, whether or not it is actually there. One could say that one would not want this unknown living within him/her or around him/her, threatening understanding and security. This apathy or even vehemence toward this unknown breeds hate, as I defined above.

With all of this combined into one equation that is far more complicated that the basic one I have just illustrated, we as a culture and society witness these horrific and disgusting acts rooted in hate...which is actually fear.

A simple flaw in our human nature is responsible for the abomination of the world we have lived in for several millenia. The one thing that has been constant throughout the history of this world as we have known it is human nature. Regardless of the changing of the times, whether that be in knowledge as a people, politics, social standards, even fashion, human nature has always been the same and always will be because of the way we are designed.

This, unfortunately, leads me to my last point. There will never be an end to hate and the horrors that grow from its seed. There are some human beings, I may be so audacious as to say many, that are able to overcome their instinctual fear of the unknown. Thank the Lord for them, for they are the only creatures on this earth that can balance the terror of a world completely filled with hate. There are a many great more that cannot overcome this fear and distrust. We barely outweigh them. From this stem the greatest conflicts--the greatest victories and the most tragic losses.

From this, we create drama. But that is another essay entirely.

It is a balancing act that we can only pray will remain balanced. There are times when it seems to tilt one way or another. The day of the election of President Obama was a day tilted toward hope. The day Gaza started bombing Israel yet again was tilted toward hate. It is a constant battle that, sadly, will never end.

Post a Comment